Saturday, November 1, 2008

Hard Rock Cafe Bears

I am a collector of Hard Rock Cafe bears. Right now I have around 30 of them with the latest being from Gatlinburg, Tennessee, where we visited on our tour of fall leaves. Most of them are the standard Herrington bears but depending upon the country, there are different types. In Beijing, China, the bear is a stuffed panda bear and in Sydney, Australia, the bear is a koala bear. I have bears from places as Reykjavik, Iceland; Puerto Vallarta, Mexico; Niagara Falls, Amsterdam, Edinburgh, and Stockholm. They are displayed all around my computer room and I am running quickly running out of space to display them.

Whenever we are in a place with a Hard Rock Cafe and are able to get to it, we go purchase a bear. In Stockholm, we walked many blocks to get to the Hard Rock Cafe. In Athens, we were disappointed that they didn't have the large bear for sale, so we had to get a smaller keyring bear. In Destin, we visited the smallest Hard Rock Cafe in the world to get that bear. In Reykjavik, we found the Hard Rock Cafe by accident when we went into a mall there. In Beijing, we went by taxi with another fellow traveler who collects Hard Rock pins and were taken way out of our way by our taxi driver on the return trip. The concierge at our hotel recognized the driver and made him refund some of our fare because it was considerably more than the price we paid to go to the cafe.

Fortunately the bears take being squashed in a suitcase quite well.

We don't always eat at the Hard Rock Cafes when we go to buy bears but I like collecting them because they do show the places we have been. I plan to buy bears whenever I can on our future trips wherever I can find a Hard Rock Cafe.

No comments: